Callan's D Story

Meet Mr. Callan Riker
 On October 6, 2011 we noticed that Callan was going through diapers like crazy. On this particular day he had gone through 20 diapers and had maybe 3 drinks. I googled and the first thing that came up was diabetes.  I kind of shrugged it off, thinking this could NOT happen to me, and decided to be safe and take him to the ER. (Our pediatrician was closed that day.)  I changed his diaper before we left, and he was soaked in the maybe 10 minute drive from our house to the hospital. 

The ER doctor wanted to let him go because he was acting fine. He was running around, playing, wasn't acting crazy or anything! We demanded that he at least ran some tests, and he PROMISED me everything would come back negative.  He walked into the room and told us that our lives were going to change.  Callans blood sugar was 1102 and he was in dka. 

He finally went to sleep when we got to the PICU at midnight!

I don't really remember much of what he said after this.  I didn't know what to think.  I knew what diabetes was, but I didn't really know what having Type 1 Diabetes meant for Callan.  He told us that they were transfering him to another hospital in El Paso, TX (an hour drive) and that we had to wait for an ambulance.  So I had my husband run home to get the essentials (Buzz Lightyear, blankie, & his Pillow Pet) and then to meet us at the hospital.

The ambulance finally got there.  The nurse from the ambulance came in and was surprised at how Callan was acting.  He was STILL running around and playing.  It took them an hour to get him loaded up.  They had to take some other kids with him as well .. they had overdosed on some medicine.  Callan liked the company.

Coloring and watching Yo Gabba Gabba.

First meal after being dx'd. He was happy!

 We were at the hospital for 3 very long days.  It sure is hard keeping a 2 year old attached to an IV!  We talked to the Diabetic Educator one time, for 30 minutes.  That was the extent of our education. I remember doing lots of googling, and reading tons of blogs.  I came to know the DOC while he was still in the hospital.  It has been such a blessing!

At White Sands National Monument


No comments:

Post a Comment