Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing

Last Friday I took the boys out to a playgroup. Before we left Callans bg was 120. About 30 minutes after we had gotten there I noticed him acting strange. He was super aggressive, screaming, yelling, hitting and he even bit his brother. So I checked his bg there and it was 488! I went into panic mode and just started bawling. :( The other moms didn't know what to do or say.  I was trying to get control of Callan, while telling Corbin (my 4yr old) that we needed to leave.  They were both throwing fits, and it was so hard!!  I pretty much sprinted out of there ugly crying "I'm so sorry! He has diabetes!"  

The past few days his bg has been in the 70's - 80's at every test.  I'm not doing anything differently, and so I have no clue why his bg was so high last week and now it's pretty steady.  

Is he going through his honeymoon period?!  Any advice for the craziness that comes with having a 2 year old (think terrible 2's) with a high bg reading? 

4 comments:

  1. My daughter was dx with T1 in 2005, at the age of 24 months. She's 8 now. Somehow, 6 years have passed.

    She didn't have a honeymoon, so I'm sorry I can't really help with that.

    As for the toddler/diabetes combo...well...

    I just want to reassure you that there will be many, many, many times you'll wonder if you're going crazy...but...YOU AREN'T. You haven't lost your mind. I promise. It's not you. It's the madness called Type 1 Diabetes.

    When other mothers have a tantrum child, they'll put him in the corner. You must rule out a BG issue first.

    When other mothers feel their child's warm forehead, they'll give him Tylenol. You'll rule out a BG issue first.

    When other mothers have a child begging for something to eat or drink, they'll oblige. You'll rule out a BG issue first.

    You CAN do this.

    And you WILL to it well.

    Welcome to the Diabetes Online Community (DOC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment. It helps me feel not so alone or crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh yes. been there! almost daily at the moment. initially R was a baby when he was diagnosed so i seemed like i had a jekyl and hyde baby...really he was just pleasant and peaceful and other times like he was on speed. another thing you need to tell yourself is, like wendy said, rule out the BG issue, then go thru your normal mummy checklist. thirsty, hungry, tummy ache, temp etc. have some real confidence in what you are doing, diabetes seems to invade every area of your lives right now, but its just a *part* of his development. toddlers test boundaries. little boys between 2 and 6 have the highest concentrations of testosterone they will ever have in their bodies, who knows whether it really was the high blood sugars, or normal toddler stuff? we have a double whammy my friend, but honestly my first son, without diabetes was a terror - he wasnt a naughty boy but he was loud and so energetic. now hes older hes calmer, but so freaking athletic... i dunno, i know im rambling. its hard, right. msg me anytime andi. BIG HUGS xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andi!

    It's so easy to beat ourselves up when we forget; miscalculate; misjudge. It's something we all struggle with. Remember that you are doing the best you can do, and that's all you CAN do. A high reading here and there happens to everyone. (And for some of us, "here and there" is "all the freaking time", but that's just how it goes.)

    I feel like I don't know what I'm doing a lot of the time, and I've been doing this for 25 years. You are so, so not alone in that feeling.

    I also hope you know that you rock. :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget