Sunday, October 23, 2011

The DREADED Halloween

Before having a child diagnosed with type 1, I could never even have fathomed dreading Halloween. How do all my fellow d'baby moms deal with this "holiday"?  This will only be Callans' 1st Halloween where he could actually go trick-or-treating.  I am dreading the thought of taking him to the parties we've been invited to, let alone letting him go door to door begging for his bg to shoot up to unfathomable heights.

I have been googling like a mad man, trying to find alternative ideas.  I think I'm on to something.  Do y'all remember the book/movie "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" by Charles Schulz?


 So, some other moms in blogland have put this book into action.  After trick-or-treating they have their children pick out a small amount of candy.  Then they leave the rest of their stash out for the Great Pumpkin to take.  The next morning the kids wake up and there is a small gift in place of their loot 'o' candy! 

I am planning on doing this with my kids this year.  Luckily I still have littles young enough to not have experienced gorging on tons of candy.

What do y'all think?  How do you deal with the candy with having a type 1 child?

1 comment:

  1. that is a GREAT idea. kids love the magic of the toothfairy taking a tooth and leaving something in its place, i say GO FOR IT.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget